- Live music from DC’s Second String Band
- Bike-related prizes, silent auction, and raffles
- Bike-themed carnival games and entertainment
- Excellent food and drink
- A fun-filled and enjoyable celebration of the year that brought us Capital Bikeshare, the first phase of the Metropolitan Branch Trail, Pennsylvania Avenue Bike Lanes, DC’s First Cycletrack and Bike Signal, a DC Complete Streets Policy, Maryland’s Negligent Homicide Law, a Tyson’s Bike Master Plan, WMATA Bike Modeshare Goals, and a general growth of cycling in our region that shows we’re on the right path!
- And the main event: The crowning of BikeFest’s Best Builder of 2011, which pits 3 local shops–CityBikes, Papillon, and Oasis–against one another to build a full bike with only $250, their used parts bins, and creativity. You select the winner with a combination of votes and bids, and someone in the crowd will get to take home each of the bikes.
Last week, we sent emails to our members and supporters announcing WABA’s June 11th BikeFest Fundraiser and Celebration. This event is a change from past years in which WABA’s annual fundraiser has been a more formal gala function. But this year, with the growth of cycling, recent legislative and regulatory victories, and progress on trail and infrastructure projects, it just makes more sense to have a celebration. With so many cyclists joining us on the regions trails and roadways: we needed a bigger party. So this year’s event will celebrate the past year of cycling while building momentum and raising funds for coming advocacy and outreach initiatives in the region. We are adding more to the program every day. But so far, you can count on: