Pennsylvania Ave. Bike Facilities to Disappear During Pre-Inauguration Resurfacing
With the Presidential election behind us, DC now begins to prepare for another inauguration and parade. As before every inauguration, Pennsylvania Avenue between the White House and the Capitol will be resurfaced in advance of the parade. In a meeting with DDOT officials today, we were informed that:
- Resurfacing is likely to begin on or about Tuesday, 11/13, and last about two weeks.
- The cycletrack will be re-striped as part of the project.
- The newly striped cycletrack will include several improvements, including additional space to accommodate turning/waiting bicyclists at the intersections with 15th St. NW and 4th St. NW.
- The plastic bollards will not be returned immediately, as they are generally removed in winter to enable snowplowing equipment the ability to clear the street and the cycletrack.
- When the bollards are replaced, they will have new bases that will be flush with the road surface, which should make the whole removal/replacement process easier in the future.