We’re hiring an assistant education coordinator to work with our lead education coordinator to carry out our initiatives in teaching adults and kids how to bike and how to bike better. Read more about the job and how to apply below the jump.
Assistant Education Coordinator Position Open
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Assistant Education Coordinator for our adult and youth education programs in the District of Columbia and the surrounding jurisdictions.
WABA’s education programs are highly regarded and successful, helping adults throughout the DC region to learn to ride bikes, to ride safely and comfortably on city streets, and to use bicycles to commute to and from work. Our youth education program provides bicycle and pedestrian safety education in DC public schools and public charter schools.
Reporting to our Education Coordinator, the Assistant Education Coordinator will provide programmatic support to both the adult education and youth education programs as needed, including: teaching in schools and on weekends, developing and refining curricula, providing logistical support for education events, coordinating and supervising volunteers, providing administrative support and assisting in general WABA duties.
The Assistant Education Coordinator will:
- Teach (alone or in support of the Education Coordinator) our in-school Youth Education classes.
- Teach (alone or in support of the Education Coordinator) our Adult Education classes.
- Coordinate and implement WABA’s Neighborhood Pace Car program, including: marketing the program to DC schools; coordinating with teachers, administrators and DDOT’s Safe Routes to School Coordinator; managing distribution of materials to participating schools; tracking and reporting on the program as needed.
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of a small fleet of bikes, including: cleaning, replacing parts, and tune-ups.
- Assist in program planning, curriculum development, training of instructors, and marketing.
- Assist with a variety of tasks related to the administration of the program, including blog posts, data entry, organization/inventory, clerical work, etc.
- Report directly to WABA’s Education Coordinator.
- Assist WABA in other events and programs as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Current League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 6-8 weeks of employment.
- Physical education/athletics/outdoor education experience strongly preferred (either youth or adult).
- The ability to pass DC Public Schools’ volunteering requirements: TB test and background check.
- Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills.
- A flexible schedule, specifically a willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- A current driver’s license and the ability to drive a large van in city traffic.
- The ability to lift 75 lbs.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission
- A solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist.
Benefits include flex time, vacation, sick and personal leave, and WABA’s retirement and health insurance programs. Expected salary range: mid-30,000s. This position is full-time.
Contact: Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com
. No phone calls please.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.