We’ve introduced you to our business membership program. We debuted the program last year and are steadily signing up new business members into 2014. As part of the program, we’d like to introduce you to some of our business members. Today, meet Glut Food Co-op.
Glut Food Co-op is one of the few worker-owned food co-ops in the region. Located just over the D.C. border in Mount Rainier, Md., Glut was founded in 1969 by conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War. Since its inception, Glut has focused on vegetarian food produced locally and organically. To offset the waste generated by packaging and shipping, Glut offers a wide selection of bulk foods—easy for transport by bicycle!
Glut has offered bicycle parking in front of the shop for many years. Now that it’s a business member of WABA, Glut is further demonstrating a commitment to a healthy, sustainable region. Not only does Glut have bike parking, a bike pump, and tools available, they also have a guest lock for any who may have left home without theirs. Located just a block from the Mount Rainier bike co-op, it’s quite easy to plan food shopping with a little bike repair.
We’re thrilled to have Glut as a business member!
Do you own, work for, or patronize a business that is a good candidate for our business membership? For just $300 per year, you can show your support for a bike-friendly region and WABA’s advocacy. In return you’ll receive:
- Listing on WABA’s business membership webpage with link to your business’s website
- Promotion upon joining through our social media networks, including Facebook, Twitter, and our blog (we have 5,200 Twitter followers and 6,500 Facebook friends, and the blog is one of the top-five pages viewed on the website)
- Use of WABA’s bike-friendly business window cling and/or digital logo
- Discounted WABA memberships ($10 off) for all employees
- Support in applying for Bicycle Friendly Business recognition from the League of American Bicyclists