Happy Bike Month from WABA staff!
Happy National Bike Month to you!
May was established as National Bike Month back in 1956. That means our nation has been celebrating bicycling for 58 years this month!
Together we have accomplished some major wins for people who bike in the last year so we have a lot to celebrate. WABA’s recent victories and current priorities include:
- Protected bile lanes on M St NW and First St NE.
- Expanding Capital Bikeshare to over 200 stations in DC, VA and MD, including Alexandria and Montgomery counties.
- Securing funding for snow removal on Arlington bike trails.
- Passage of the 3 Foot Passing Law in VA
- Passage of the Bicycle Safety Amendment in DC
To read more about these advocacy wins and WABA’s current priorities check out our blog
Bike Month is also a great time to join WABA
or get a head start and renew. And if you join or renew and also register for BTWD
, we’ll give you $10 off your membership this month!
To celebrate and show YOUR love for bicycling, join us at one of WABA’s many Bike Month happenings in May:
- May 3: ABCs of Family Biking – Join WABA, DC Safe Routes to School and Kidical Mass DC, 11am-2pm for a free and fun event about biking with kids. We’ll even have a special bike course for the little ones.
- May 7: Bike to School Day – If you have little ones, or can borrow some for the day, take them on a bike ride to school. WABA will be joining along with some of the day’s bike trains to schools. Our Bike Ambassadors will also have a helmet decorating station at Lincoln Park on Capitol Hill in the morning.
- May 9: Free Coffee on the Met Branch Trail – Join our Trail Rangers for free coffee on your morning commute, 7:30-9am on the MBT at 4th and S St NE.
- May 10-11: City Cycling – Bike like a pro. The weekend before BTWD, take a City Cycling class with WABA to learn more about riding confidently in traffic.
- May 12: Bike to Work Diva Happy Hour– If you’re a lady, you should grab a beer with our Women and Bicycles group to prep for BTWD. At the happy hour: you can meet a friend to bike with if it’s your first BTWD, or if you’re a BTWD pro then you can help guide a newbie.
- May 12: Everyday Bicycling Seminar – Attend our FREE seminar at the MLK Library to learn more about urban biking and how to become a pro at your bike commute.
- May 16: Bike to Work Day – Join more than 14,000 area cyclists and register today to reserve your free t-shirt.
- May 31: Tour de Fat – THE best way to end your Bike Month. Come out for a bicycle festival with New Belgium Brewing (so yes, there’s great beer!) where proceeds benefit WABA.
Have a very happy Bike Month this May and enjoy the ride!