The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Education Coordinator for our bicycle education and outreach programming dedicated to serving adults in DC region.
WABA’s education and outreach programs are highly regarded and successful, helping adults throughout the DC region to learn to ride bikes, to ride safely and comfortably on city streets, and to use bicycles to commute to and from work. These programs create opportunities to engage with and educate adults no matter how they ride.
Reporting to the Program Director, this position will coordinate several of WABA’s existing programs, as well as working with development staff to design, fund, and implement new ideas. WABA is a small but growing office, and on occasion, all staff are asked to assist in general WABA duties and major events.
The Education Coordinator will:
- Plan, coordinate, and implement several key WABA programs, including Adult Learn to Ride classes, City Cycling classes, Community rides, and Everyday Biking seminars. This includes:
- Delivering high-quality bicycling experiences to adults throughout WABA’s service area.
- Scheduling a total of 70+ classes, rides, and seminars per year across these programs.
- Designing and modifying events, topics, ride routes, and curricula as needed.
- Marketing and promoting programs and conducting outreach activities.
- General administration, including program evaluation, blog posts, data entry, organization/inventory, clerical work, etc.
- Recruit, train, and coordinate WABA’s corps of 40+ contracted instructors to deliver programs effectively.
- Hire, train, and supervise a part-time seasonal Senior Instructor position.
- Collaborate with the Programs team in resource sharing, skills development, and cross-program integration of ideas.
- With the Programs team, commit to achieving the goals laid out in the 2015 WABA Strategic Plan.
- With the Development team, revamp the Adult Learn to Ride program to meet the growing demand with a sustainable business growth plan.
- Identify new programmatic areas of need, design programs to meet those needs, work with the Development team to obtain funding, and implement them.
- Perform a variety of tasks related to the operations of WABA including office tasks, event assistance, and clerical work.
The ideal candidate will have:
Benefits include flex time, vacation, sick and personal leave, and WABA’s retirement and health insurance programs. Expected salary range: $35,000-$40,000. This position is full-time.
Send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted until November 6th. Expected start date is December 1st, 2015.
- Current League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification or equivalent OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 2-3 months of employment.
- 1-2 years of outdoor/active/experiential education experience OR 1-2 years of adult education classroom experience.
- 1+ year(s) of direct supervisory experience.
- The ability to pass DC Public Schools’ volunteering requirements: tuberculosis test and criminal background check.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and writing skills.
- A flexible schedule, specifically working weekends and/or evenings during busy periods of the year. Expect to work 4 hours every weekend day during the April-June and September-November periods.
- The ability to organize time wisely, specifically structuring a 40-hour schedule around out-of-office work, weekends, and evenings.
- The ability to lift 45 lbs.
- The ability to ride a bike comfortably and confidently in urban/suburban situations.
- The ability to ride a bike for moderate distances (approx. 10-15 miles/day)
- The ability to carry/tow up to 50 lbs. by bike.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission.
- A solid understanding of and commitment to the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- Marketing and social media skills (technical expertise in Adobe Creative Suite strongly preferred)