JOB: Trails Coalition Coordinator
*UPDATE: This position has been filled. The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time coordinator to launch and lead a robust coalition of local partner organizations and government agencies to build a connected trail network in the Greater Washington Area. We’re looking for a process-oriented individual with strong people skills. The ideal candidate will have substantive experience building and working with successful coalitions.
About UsWashington Area Bicyclist Association works to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
Job DescriptionImagine if everyone in the Washington Region lived within a ten minute walk of a trail. Over the past decade, the Washington area has significantly expanded our multi-use trail network. We have created greater opportunities for active transportation, recreation, and access to cherished spaces. Our trails knit communities together by providing quality access to community resources, local wildlife, and local businesses. However, there is still a lot of work to be done. We need to fill in critical network gaps as well as improve existing trails, which were planned to varying standards and for lower capacity than they currently accommodate. The Washington area is a complex region comprised of two states, a federal district, multiple counties and numerous cities. Accomplishing major projects takes regional coordination and collaboration. A diverse coalition of dedicated governmental agencies, advocates, non-profit organizations, decision-makers, and private stakeholders is needed to realize the vision of a complete trail network.
The Trail Coalition Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Coalition development: Oversee coalition member recruitment to ensure the right folks are at the table;
- Coalition governance: Guide the process of creating agreements and decision-making structures;
- Event planning: Organize two annual summits, host trail celebrations and coordinate other outreach events.
- Coordination: Bottom-line coalition planning, fundraising, outreach, events, branding and other projects;
QualificationsThe ideal candidate will demonstrate that they have-
- Substantive experience launching or leading coalitions as staff or member of a steering committee;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Killer project management skills;
- Event planning experience;
- Technological savvy;
- Strong group facilitation skills;
- Grassroots organizing, policy, and/or planning background strongly preferred;
- Experience working in multiple sectors (non-profit, agency, private sector).
- Experience working with the National Park Service, national resource management agency, transportation department or a regional planning agency a plus.