We’re Hiring Bike Camp! Counselors for the Summer
Bike Camp! is looking for a few great Counselors, apply today!
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association seeks 3 Camp Counselors and 1 Lead Counselor with a love of riding bikes, experience with youth, and exuberance to spare.
WABA’s Bike Camp!
is two two-week sessions for kids to ride, explore, build, and have fun! Our Bike Camp! Counselor team will keep things running smoothly, help the campers ride and work together as a team, build rapport and community, and make this summer one to remember.
During training, Counselors will be taken through an intensive ride-safety course to learn the ins-and-outs of leading and supporting youths on bikes. They’ll be certified in first-aid and CPR by the American Red Cross. Further training will include: security and safety procedures, emergency planning and management, behavior management, food and health safety, team training, and more.
The Counselor team will be the primary staff responsible for the day-to-day operations of Bike Camp! and will report to our Camp Director, Jeff Wetzel, who will be on-site at camp 20 hours/week.
These are temporary seasonal full-time positions. The dates for these positions are:
Staff Training: Wednesday, June 22nd – Friday, July 1st
Weekdays, July 5th – 29th (4 weeks), from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Camp Counselors – $15 per hour
Lead Counselor – $17 per hour
- Ensure the safety, well-being and health of Bike Campers (ages 10-14).
- Lead and/or support bike rides ranging from 1 mile to 15 miles in length in summer weather.
- Organize group activities and team-building exercises.
- Provide engagement, humor, and positive spirits as a role model for the Campers.
- Evaluate and provide feedback on Bike Camp! after Session 1 and Session 2.
- All of the above, plus:
- With the Camp Director, plan safe routes for bike rides and adapt to changing on-road conditions.
- Provide detailed daily reports of Camp Activities with input from the Camp Counselors, including incident/injury reports.
- Act as the primary point of contact on-site for activity/program partners.
- 1-2 years experience working with youth, preferably in a summer camp environment or similar.
- Must be able to provide a working bike and helmet.
- Must be able to ride a bike with competence and confidence enough to pay attention to other riders.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate safe biking practices.
- Some bicycle maintenance knowledge preferred.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified, or willing to obtain a certification prior to camp.
- All of the above, plus:
- Group bike riding and/or ride leader experience preferred.
- Staff supervision experience preferred.
How to Apply
Please submit a one-page résumé and a one-page letter describing:
- How you meet the qualifications listed above
- What makes you a great Bike Camp! Counselor
- A positive experience you had while working with youth
Send both documents as attachments to email@example.com