The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is looking for two passionate and energetic trail champions for our 2016 Trail Ranger Team to serve trails and the people who use them throughout the District of Columbia.
WABA’s Trail Ranger program, now in its fourth season, encourages trail use through daily trail presence, improved upkeep, trail user assistance and community engagement. Trail Rangers act as trail ambassadors, offering a consistent and friendly presence on DC’s mixed-use trails to make them more approachable, enjoyable, and dependable for transportation and recreation.
Reporting to our DC Trail Ranger Coordinator, Trail Rangers roam nearly 20 trail miles within the District, including the Metropolitan Branch Trail, Anacostia Riverwalk Trail, Suitland Parkway Trail, Marvin Gaye Trail, and connecting street routes.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support and encourage trail use with friendly and helpful trail presence, regular outreach efforts, and occasional basic bike repairs
- Patrol DC’s mixed use trails by bicycle with a partner, pulling a lightweight trailer and supplies
- Develop and maintain relationships with regular trail users and community members
- Plan and lead cleanup days and community events alongside the program coordinator
- Perform inspections of trail conditions and maintenance of trail corridors including pruning branches, gathering trash and clearing debris
- Make regular reports on daily trail conditions, needs, and trends
- Work with the program coordinator and city agencies to respond to recurring trail issues
- Document events, trail updates and developments to keep trail users informed
- Assist at WABA events as needed
Candidates must have:
- A proven track record and enthusiasm for working within a team in an outdoor setting
- A positive, outgoing and approachable personality
- Availability 15-25 hours per week including early mornings or evenings, and weekends
- The ability to ride a bike up to 25 miles in mixed city traffic and off street trails
- The ability to lift up to 40 lbs
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist
Ideal candidates will have:
- A firm commitment to WABA’s mission
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Familiarity and comfort with self-directed, self-supervised work
- Confidence interacting with and serving the public
- The ability to organize time wisely and juggle multiple priorities
- Knowledge of the principles of safe bicycling and traffic laws in DC
- Competence with basic bicycle maintenance including patching a flat and adjusting brakes
- Spanish proficiency or ASL proficiency a strong plus
This position is part-time from June 1st, 2016 through September 30, 2016 for approximately 23 hours per week. Compensation is $15 per hour.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
with “Trail Ranger” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until June 29th though candidates are strongly encourage to apply earlier. No phone calls please.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.