Work for WABA: Events Coordinator Job Opening
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a full-time Events Coordinator to plan, implement, promote, and manage WABA special events, as well as provide support for new events and programs.
About WABAWABA works to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
Job DescriptionThe Events Coordinator position will work to achieve the following objectives: successfully lead WABA’s existing events in order to create a safe and welcoming space for WABA Members and supporters to be part of a community that celebrates and promotes bicycling; engage with and help expand other WABA programs, ensuring that events promote membership, grow volunteers, and advance our advocacy, education, and outreach initiatives; grow WABA’s events portfolio through meaningful partnerships, corporate sponsorships, and new innovative events and rides to support the WABA mission. The Events Coordinator position is best for someone who is highly organized, likes to be in charge of their own projects, can manage many logistics at once, is skilled at delegating specific tasks to people, enjoys creating memorable experiences for others, connects the importance of events and community-building to carrying out our mission, can creatively solve problems, and knows how to breathe deeply and communicate well when managing stressful situations.
Responsibilities:The Events Coordinator will:
- Deliver high-quality events to members and supporters,
- Manage all event logistics, including: securing venues, managing volunteers, running registration and promotion plans, tracking event budgets, and managing day-of logistics,
- Perform general administration tasks, including: updating content on website using WordPress, writing blog posts, data entry, tracking supplies inventory, and answering event emails and phone calls,
- Coordinate partnerships and event opportunities with affiliate organizations,
- Coordinate WABA’s bike racks, and supply racks for bike parking for WABA events and occasional partner events,
- Support Development, Events and Membership Team in soliciting corporate sponsors,
- Provide general support for WABA’s outreach, advocacy, and education initiatives as needed.
Qualifications:The ideal candidate will have:
- One to two years of special events and event planning experience, including experience planning events and/or carrying out programs for non-profits, sports teams, membership organizations, or outdoor recreation groups or clubs,
- A commitment to and the ability to stay on task, pay close attention to detail, remain organized, and ensure event deliverables are executed on time,
- Excellent communications skills via email, phone, and in-person, as well as good public speaking skills,
- A flexible schedule, specifically the ability to work nights and weekends leading up to and during WABA events, and the ability to begin event set up early in the morning and/or finish event break down late at night,
- A current driver’s license, clean driving record, and the willingness to drive and parallel park a work van and a 14-foot moving truck,
- The ability to lift 40-50 pounds, and the ability to load/unload event supplies in and out of a cargo van or moving truck for special events,
- Marketing, promotional, and social media skills, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram,
- The ability to work independently often, as well as the ability to learn from and work closely with others,
- An excitement for and interest in bicycling,
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission of advocating for better bicycling across the region,
- An understanding and commitment to safe bicycling, and the ability to follow bicycle traffic laws,
- The ability to ride a bicycle comfortably and confidently in urban/suburban situations, and the ability to follow a cue sheet.