VaporFresh’s 5 Tips for Greener, Cleaner, Longer-Lasting Bicycling Clothes
WABA’s Business Members understand the importance of a community that bicycles. Their membership supports our advocacy, outreach, and education. Our business members are committed to a creating a healthy, more livable region and are adding their voice to a growing number of bicycle-friendly businesses supporting WABA. Today, meet VaporFresh. VaporFresh is proud to become the newest business member of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association. VaporFresh is a DC-based green cleaning products company for people who lead active lifestyles.
Beating the Bicyclist Laundry DilemmaFor those of us who wash bibs, jerseys, yoga pants, and basically any dry-wicking fabric may have experienced that sad time in a piece of performance clothing’s life where it becomes less breathable, retains its stench despite countless washes, or irritates skin. That’s because average laundry detergents are not designed to wash performance fabrics. Chemical additives like brighteners, dyes and fragrances can actually deteriorate your workout clothes. VaporFresh founder Stephen Steinberg started the company while playing hockey at the University of Maryland. Stephen was frustrated to not find any products to eliminate the odor without the use of irritating chemicals. In order to de-stink his hockey pads, he decided to develop a better product himself. Today, VaporFresh offers a specially designed cold-water formula laundry detergent for workout clothing, deodorizing spray for gear and pads, and other eco-friendly cleaning products. When properly cared for, bike-specific garments are light, can keep you the right temperature, and keep you dry—and that’s important. If you’ve ever wondered: how do I care for these expensive garments so they don’t wear out? VaporFresh knows that detergent is just one part of the laundry puzzle. That’s why VaporFresh also wants you to be better at laundry!
Here are Stephen’s 5 basic tips for bicyclists washing their bibs, shorts, jerseys, or socks:
Check out the VaporFresh blog for awesome tips on how to extend the lifespan of your performance clothing, keep it working optimally, and most importantly, stay stink free! Here’s more on VaporFresh, and why they have decided to join WABA as a Business Member.
- Don’t leave stinky clothes at the bottom of the bin for weeks on end. Allow performance clothing to air dry after use until you are ready to do a load.
- Separate your laundry! Avoid washing heavier fabrics like towels and denims with your regular clothes and gym clothes.
- Turn your performance clothes inside out, and close all zips and velcros.
- Always wash in cold water, and choose a mild detergent, preferably a powder. Avoid using a softener or anything that promises color brightening (these often contain bleach).
- Never put performance clothing in the dryer; allow it to air dry.