Can you write a good subject line? Find the emotional core of a technical policy document? Build just the right audience for an advocacy action?
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association seeks a talented and enthusiastic writer and editor with a rich understanding of modern advocacy tools and strategy to join our communications department.
The WABA Communications Team:
- Ensures that high quality, actionable, relevant content gets to members, supporters, the press, and the public.
- Provides communication strategy and implementation support to our internal departments.
- Maintains a consistent, appealing brand across all WABA platforms—digital, print, and in-person.
Communications Coordinator Responsibilities:
Writing and editing:
Create and edit engaging, relevant content about WABA’s work.
Support content, press, design, and social media for the WABA’s Advocacy, Programs and Fundraising teams.
- Provide quick, relevant, and friendly responses to social media enquiries.
- Monitor relevant ongoing social media conversations
- Ensure that WABA content is broadcast on social media channels
- Write, edit and distribute press releases and media advisories.
- Direct press inquiries to appropriate staff and occasionally field them.
Manage a communications calendar to keep WABA’s audiences informed and engaged, but not overwhelmed.
: Occasional graphic content development consistent with WABA’s visual identity.
: Project manage and edit WABA’s quarterly print newsletter.
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience working with
- A CRM database
- An email marketing platform
- WordPress or similar CMS.
- Microsoft Office / G-Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Etc.)
- Project management experience – particularly related to content creation and publication
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Useful (but not required) skills:
- GIS / mapping tools
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Video and editing
- Professional social media experience
- Full-time employment.
- Expected salary range is $38,000 to $41,000
- Work at the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC.
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Generous vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Committed colleagues and a fun working environment.
- Participate in a 403(b) retirement program after one-year’s service.
- Optional voluntary accident and disability insurance programs.
About the Washington Area Bicyclist Association:
Making bicycling better through advocacy and education, the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) promotes biking as a healthy, low-cost, and environmentally-friendly form of transportation and recreation. With 6,000 members region-wide, WABA serves bicyclists throughout the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, including the District of Columbia and parts of Maryland and Virginia.
Send a cover letter, resume, and two professional writing samples to email@example.com
with Communications Coordinator in the subject line. If you have design experience, feel free to share a portfolio as well.
No phone calls please.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.