The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a creative, innovative and effective Program Director to manages a team of program staff to achieve the outreach and education goals of the organization outlined in WABA’s 5-year Strategic Plan.
The Program Director will provide visionary leadership to a team of outreach and education staff with the goal of encourage bikes ridership in diverse communities and educating existing riders in an inclusive environment. The Program Director supervises program staff and manages nearly $1 million in public grants through grant writing, budget and grant management, and reporting.
The Program Director is a member of the Senior Leadership Team working directly with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director, and other key organizational staff to achieve WABA’s fundraising, education, outreach goals in line with our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. The ideal candidate must share WABA’s vision for better biking in the region and enjoy a working in a fast-paced environment.
- Provide visionary leadership to create and implement creative, innovative, inclusive outreach and education programs.
- Lead, manage, mentor, and inspire a team of program staff, including conducting regular performance reviews, promoting professional development, and hiring.
- Manage the full lifecycle of WABA’s portfolio of nearly $1 million in education and outreach grants and contracts.
- Provide program oversight and support on grant deliverables and outcomes, and ensure accurate and timely grant reporting and invoicing.
- Direct risk management reporting, evaluation and training to ensure safe programs.
- Facilitate collaboration across internal teams and organization.
- Develop annual work plans and budgets.
- Build and maintain external relationships partnerships with funders.
- Develop and implement new programs and initiatives inline in the 2020 WABA Strategic Plan.
- Contribute to the organization’s fundraising and development efforts in collaboration with key staff.
- Demonstrated management and leadership experience including leading a team, strategic planning, and capacity building.
- Proven ability to supervise, mentor, motivate and evaluate employees.
- Ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and able to work closely with others.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex projects.
- Experience working in diverse communities and on diverse teams of staff and volunteers.
- Bachelor Degree or similar experience required, advanced degree perferred.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 46 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which biking is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.
This position is full-time. Expected salary range is $60,000-$65,000. The position is based in the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC. All employees are expected to work some evenings and weekends with flex time in exchange.
Benefits include 100% employer covered health/dental/vision insurance premiums; vacation and sick leave; committed colleagues; fun working environment; optional voluntary accident/disability insurance; WABA’s 403(b) retirement program; indoor bike parking; and surprising amounts of ice cream.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Send a cover letter and resume as one PDF to email@example.com. Please include “Program Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain posted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by or before Friday, August 10th, 2018. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.