The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks an Adult Education Coordinator for WABA’s Adult Education programs, including Adult Learn to Ride classes, City Cycling classes, Community rides, and Everyday Bicycling Seminars. The ideal candidate must share WABA’s vision for better bicycling in the region and will be responsible for our bicycle education and outreach programming dedicated to serving adults in the Washington, DC region. Additionally, the coordinator will work with WABA’s Development staff to design, fund, and implement new ideas.
WABA’s education and outreach programs are highly regarded and successful, helping adults throughout the DC region to learn to ride bikes, to ride safely and comfortably on city streets, and to use bicycles to commute to and from work. These programs create opportunities to engage with and educate adults no matter how they ride.
The Adult Education Coordinator will plan, coordinate, and implement WABA’s Adult Education program, including Adult Learn to Ride classes, City Cycling classes, Community rides, and Everyday Bicycling Seminars. The Adult Education Spring and Fall seasons typically run from April to June and September to November, respectively. The Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Delivering high-quality bicycling experiences to adults throughout WABA’s service area.
- Scheduling 70+ events per year across these programs.
- Designing and modifying events, topics, ride routes, and curricula, as needed.
- Recruiting, training, and coordinating with WABA’s corps of 40+ contracted instructors.
- Marketing and promoting programs and conducting outreach activities.
- Leading and teaching classes, rides, and seminars, as needed.
- Collecting student and instructor feedback and incorporating it into programming.
- Identifying areas of need for future programming, designing effective concepts to meet those needs, and working with the Development team to source funding to build new programs.
- Working with regional stakeholders to expand bicycle education, including to areas not already served.
- Collaborating with the Programs team in resource sharing, skills development, and cross-program integration of ideas.
- General administration, including blog posts, data entry, organization/inventory, clerical work, etc.
- Performing a variety of tasks related to the operations of WABA including office tasks, major event support, and clerical work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2 or more years of program management or program development experience.
- 1 or more year of direct supervisory experience.
- Education, instruction, or teaching experience.
- The ability to pass DC Public Schools’ volunteering requirements: tuberculosis test and criminal background check.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and writing skills.
- A flexible schedule, specifically working weekends and/or evenings during busy periods of the year. Expect to work minimum 4 hours each weekend during the April-June and September-November periods. WABA provides generous compensatory time for time worked on weekends and evenings.
- The ability to organize time wisely and multi-task in a relaxed, fun environment.
- A strong commitment to WABA’s mission.
Additional preferred skills include:
- Current League Cycling Instructor (LCI) certification or equivalent OR the willingness/ability to obtain certification within first 2-3 months of employment.
- A current driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Marketing/promotional experience.
- The ability to lift 40 lbs.
- The ability to ride a bike comfortably and confidently in urban/suburban situations.
- A solid understanding of the principles of bicycling safety and traffic law.
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 46 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which bicycling is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.
This position is full-time. Expected salary range is $40,000-$45,000. The position is based in the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC. All employees are expected to work some evenings and weekends with compensatory time in exchange. This position will report to WABA’s Program Director.
Benefits include 100% employer covered health/dental/vision insurance premiums; vacation and sick leave; committed colleagues; fun working environment; optional voluntary accident/disability insurance; WABA’s 403(b) retirement program; indoor bike parking; and surprising amounts of ice cream.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Adult Education Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; the position will remain posted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by or before Monday, March 25th. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.