The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks a dynamic, goal-oriented Business Partnerships Coordinator to execute WABA’s growing business partnership portfolio: business membership, corporate partnership, and event sponsorship. We seek a fundraiser with strong and sincere people skills and someone with enthusiasm for WABA’s mission. There is space for the right person to think creatively; reimagine, transform, or evolve the program; shape strategy; build a corporate social responsibility portfolio; and more.
The Business Partnerships Coordinator reports to the Development Director and works closely with WABA’s development team and collaborates regularly with other staff. Like all staff at this smaller nonprofit, this person is required to assist with general organization-wide duties and at major events.
The Business Partnerships Coordinator identifies, solicits, and engages potential and current businesses/corporations to deepen partnerships and meet an annual revenue goal of $225,000+:
- Manage and grow a portfolio of local businesses (currently 39) and corporations (currently six) giving $250 – $20,000 through cultivation and stewardship of a robust pipeline:
- Frequent prospect research and outreach;
- Timely execution of contracted deliverables;
- Regular, personalized updates and communication to funders; and
- Quarterly, small and educational business engagement events.
- Garner event sponsors for approximately 12 events per year, from mixers to signature rides to conferences;
- Support other staff in designing events compelling to sponsors;
- Craft compelling sponsorship tiers customized to each event ($1,000 – $15,000);
- Pitch current and prospective partners on sponsorship;
- Work with event staff and Communications team to ensure sponsorship deliverables are met before, during, and after the event;
- Staff the event to support successful execution; and
- Acknowledge, thank, and report to sponsors.
- Track all engagements and activities in WABA’s CRM (Salesforce); regularly report on portfolio performance to WABA management and leadership.
- Draft communications and guide messaging for all facets of business partnership, in collaboration with Development Director and Communications team, including email communication, blog posts, web content, social media, print collateral, and direct mail.
- Assist the Development team with additional tasks or responsibilities as needed to achieve the team’s—and the organization’s—short- and long-term goals.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated success in—and a passion for!—fundraising;
- An enthusiastic commitment to WABA’s mission;
- A background in sales or business development; and
- Experience with Salesforce.
Additional desired competencies include:
- The ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously;
- A commitment to follow-through;
- A self-motivated approach to work;
- Strong, sincere interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written;
- Computer literacy skills with experience using the Google Suite and Microsoft Office (graphic design skills a plus);
- A willingness to jump in and help out the team;
- The ability to lift 30 pounds; and
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist if and when you ride.
This position is full-time. All employees are expected to work some evenings and weekends with compensatory time in exchange. Expected salary range is $38,000-$44,000. The position is based in the WABA Office in Adams Morgan, Washington, DC.
Benefits include health/dental insurance (WABA covers 100% of the premium for full-time staff); flexible work schedule; vacation, sick and personal leave; committed colleagues; fun working environment; optional voluntary accident/disability insurance; WABA’s 403(b) retirement program; indoor bike parking; and surprising amounts of ice cream.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Send a compelling cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Business Partnership Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls or visits, please.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 47 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which bicycling is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.