We’re Hiring! Bike Camp! 2019
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association seeks a Camp Counselor with a love of riding bikes, experience with youth, and exuberance to spare for our 2019 summer Bike Camp!
WABA’s Bike Camp! consists of six one-week sessions for kids to ride, explore, build, and have fun! Our Bike Camp! Counselor will keep things running smoothly, help the campers ride and work together as a team, build rapport and community, and make this summer one to remember.
During training, the Counselor will be taken through a thorough ride-safety course to learn the ins-and-outs of leading and supporting youths on bikes. Further training will include: security and safety procedures, emergency management, behavior management, food and health safety, team training, and more.
The Counselor team will be the primary staff responsible for the day-to-day operations of Bike Camp! and will report to our Camp Director, Jeff Wetzel.
This is a temporary, seasonal, full-time position (38 hours/week). The season runs from Wednesday, June 13th to Friday, August 9th. There will be no camp on the 4th of July.
Hourly rate: $15.50 per hour
The Camp Counselor will:
- Ensure the safety, well-being and health of Bike Campers (ages 8-14).
- Lead and/or support bike rides ranging from 3 to 20 miles in length in summer weather.
- Organize group activities and team-building exercises.
- Provide engagement, humor, and positive spirits as a role model for the Campers.
- Evaluate and provide feedback on Bike Camp! afterwords.
- 0-2 years experience working with youth, preferably in a summer camp environment or similar.
- Must be able to provide a working bike and helmet.
- Must be able to ride a bike in city traffic with competence and confidence enough to pay attention to the actions and well-being of other riders.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate safe biking practices.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) is working to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation; advocating for better bicycling conditions and transportation choices for a healthier environment; and educating children, adults, and motorists about safe bicycling.
WABA’s programs, from youth education to grassroots community organizing, engage residents in Prince George’s County, Montgomery County, Alexandria, Arlington County, Fairfax County, and Washington, DC. Six thousand dues-paying members and thousands more generous supporters have helped WABA transform bicycling in the region again and again over its 46 year history.
WABA is building a region where, in 2020, we’ll see three times the number of people riding bikes. And, by 2035, every single person will live within one mile of a dedicated safe place to bike. We envision a region in which biking is joyful, safe, popular, and liberating; supported by the necessary infrastructure, laws, activities, and investments; and where bicycle ridership mirrors the incredible diversity of our communities.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
How to Apply
Please submit a one-page resume and briefly answer the following questions:
- How you meet the qualifications listed above
- What makes you a great Bike Camp! Counselor
- A positive experience you had while working with youth
Send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Bike Camp Counselor” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.