2020 Transportation Safety Leadership Training Program
Friday, February 26, 2021, 1:26 PM —
Applications for this training are closed.
Make a difference in your community!
The goal of this program is to increase the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians and reduce crashes throughout Northern Virginia by training instructors who will provide bicycle and pedestrian education to their communities.
Who can apply?
This training is open to Northern Virginia residents or employees.
This training is open to Northern Virginia local government, state, regional staff, police, faculty/teachers and residents active in their communities and committed to improving bicycle and pedestrian safety. Recreational and/or commuter bicyclists are encouraged to apply. Applicants should have experience riding in traffic and on trails and are comfortable riding in various weather conditions.
Pedestrian Safety Training – March 18th and 25th, 2020- 7:00-9:00 pm
Prerequisite for LCI Seminar– Gain pedestrian safety knowledge and skills by completing this four-hour class over two evenings.
Location: Arlington Transportation Partners
1501 Wilson Blvd, Suite 1100, Arlington, VA, 22209
Smart Cycling- March 7th, 2020 – 10:00-4:00 pm
Prerequisite for LCI Seminar- Participants will learn the importance of bike safety and traffic knowledge while performing advanced bike handling skills and hazard avoidance maneuvers. The course includes an on-street group ride, where participants will learn the ins and outs of lane positioning, defensive cycling, and how to communicate with motorists.
LCI Seminar– April 3rd-5th, 2020
The LCI Seminar teaches candidates comprehensive bicycle safety curriculum, including bicycle handling skills, traffic law, riding in inclement weather how to safely plan and lead group rides, group facilitation and management, etc.
Dates and Times:
April 3rd- 5:00-9:00 pm
April 4th- 8:00-9:00 pm
April 5th- 8:00-3:00 pm
- Participants must attend all applicable training dates and complete approximately 50 hours of work, both outside and within the training activities. Training will take place in a classroom setting, outdoors and on city streets and trails.
- Must have a local government or lead organization mentor that will help you identify outreach events that support bicycle and pedestrian safety efforts in the region (i.e. WABA, Alexandria BPAC, FABB, BikeArlington).
- The ability to ride a bicycle confidently.
- Participants must commit to doing two community pedestrian and bicycling safety outreach events by September 15th and January 20th and report back to NVRC.
Only interested in the pedestrian training or Smart Cycling?
There are limited spaces available. If you are a safety advocate or work in training, education or local state government, please contact Debbie Spiliotopoulos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a current LCI willing to help out? Apply to be a mentor!
Mentors assist new LCIs in completing their outreach requirements and reporting back to NVRC.
- Affiliated with a program or organization that supports pedestrian/bicycle safety or outreach to vulnerable road users/bicyclists/pedestrians operating in Virginia
- Connected with outreach efforts in high crash areas and directly work on events with needs for LCIs
- Committed to helping LCI reach outreach requirements
- Committed to communicating outreach efforts and outcomes to NVRC for grant reporting for 2020 and into future grant years
- Can provide a list of potential events or activities for new candidates to work on