Ebike Confident City Cycling
Saturday, July 10, 2021, 10:00 AM — MITRE Campus, McLean, Virginia
Ebikes are everywhere nowadays, and they are a fantastic option for anyone who is looking to add an extra boost to their ride or get around town more quickly. You can grab a Capital Bikeshare Ebike from a docking station, or pick up a Lime dockless ebike off of a street corner. With all of these bikes only a few steps out your front door, it is important to know how to be safe and get the most out of your ride. Confident City Cycling teaches you the skills you need to ride safely and confidently on streets, bike lanes and trails alike.
This class is broken into two groups to accommodate different skill levels and interests. The Fundamentals track focuses on practicing basic bike handling skills such as shifting, scanning, signaling, gradual braking and weaving. Instructors discuss the importance of trail etiquette while riding on a multi-use path and answer any questions participants may have about trail riding for commuting or recreation.
The Confidence track teaches hazard avoidance maneuvers necessary while riding on the street and in heavily-trafficked areas. Participants learn skills such as the avoidance weave, quick stop, rock dodge, and instant turn, and discuss considerations for sharing space with other road users.
Each track ends the class with an on-street or on-trail group ride, where participants put their newly acquired skills to the test. Have any questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and Safety Protocols
Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, all participants are expected to adhere to WABA’s health and safety guidelines for in-person events. You can review WABA’s full guidelines for WABA City Cycle classes here.
- Participants should not attend in-person events if they feel sick or show symptoms of illness. WABA will refund registration fees to individuals who cannot attend because they are sick on the day of an event. If you are sick and unable to attend an in-person event, contact WABA for a refund.
- Classes will be limited to 10 participants and 3 instructors.
- All instructors and participants are required to wear face masks for the duration of the class.
- WABA requires participants to wear face masks in accordance with CDC and jurisdictional mask guidelines at all in-person events:
- Masks must cover both the mouth and nose.
- Masks must be secured below the chin.
- Participants should sanitize their hands before and after touching their mask or face area.
- For more details, read the full CDC mask guidelines.
- Participants will provide their contact information at event registration. Participants consent to WABA contacting them and/or releasing their contact information to necessary authorities if there is a need for contact tracing following an event to contain an outbreak of COVID-19.
- All instructors and participants are required to maintain social distancing (6 ft apart) for the duration of the class
- In the event of a minor injury (cuts or scrapes) participants will be provided with first aid supplies to treat themselves. If an individual is unable to treat themselves, or if a more serious injury occurs, WABA will call for an ambulance for additional medical care.
Class Duration: 3 hours
Equipment: Ebike and helmet rental provided for all participants. You are welcome to bring your own Ebike if you wish.
FREE – WABA members and Capital Bikeshare for All (email us for a coupon)
$10.00 – Resident Registration**
$85.00 – Non-Resident Registration
*WABA partners with local jurisdictions to bring subsidized bicycle education to residents of that jurisdiction. Example – if you are a Fairfax County resident taking a class in Fairfax County your registration is just $10.00!
Registration Policy: Advance registration is required for this event. Be sure to show up for class 15 minutes before the start time.
This class is brought to you thanks to the generous support of Tysons Partnership.
7525 Colshire Dr, McLean, VA 22102
Driving: There is parking accessible at this location
Metro: This class location is a 0.4 mile walk from the McLean Metro station.