We’re Hiring! Events & Partnerships Coordinator
Do you love bringing people together through a fantastic event? Can you help connect businesses with new audiences? Are you impeccably organized?
WABA is hiring an Events & Partnerships Coordinator to organize our signature events and connect with regional business for sponsorship and partnership, to raise a combined $200,000+/year.
WABA’s development team is an integral part of the full staff. We work to grow and sustain our donor base of 7,000+ people giving between $1 and $100,000 annually, along with a growing portfolio of corporate support and major potential in the foundation space. The development team works closely with staff across the organization to tell their story in a way that moves donors to invest in our mission.
The Events & Partnerships Coordinator will report to the Development Manager, and will be part of the team along with the Membership & Database Coordinator and the Development Director.
The Events & Partnership Coordinator plans, organizes, and implements three high-quality fundraising events annually, with up to 750 attendees, to meet a revenue goal of $100,000+. The events portfolio includes:
- Event logistics, such as:
- Scouting and mapping ride routes,
- Securing venues,
- Securing and organizing event supplies,
- Tracking event budgets (revenue and expenses),
- Overseeing volunteers and staff during the event, and
- Leading all day-of event logistics and execution.
- Driving event registration in collaboration with the Communications team, which includes drafting clear, concise, and exciting content.
- Ensuring a quality attendee experience by: creating a welcoming, inclusive space for bicyclists of all abilities to enjoy our events; and responding to event queries by email and phone in a timely manner.
- Cultivating a community of WABA supporters surrounding events, and creating ways to deepen their engagement in WABA, financially and otherwise.
To make the events compelling, fun, and robust for WABA supporters, the Events & Partnerships Coordinator secures event sponsors for events in their portfolio and across the organization to meet a revenue goal of about $50,000/year. Responsibilities include:
- Designing events compelling to sponsors, and supporting other staff leading events in doing the same,
- Crafting compelling sponsorship tiers customized to each event ($1,000 – $15,000)
- Pitching current and prospective partners on sponsorship,
- Ensuring sponsorship deliverables are met before, during, and after the event, and
- Acknowledging, thanking, and reporting to sponsors.
To ensure year-round partnership with businesses and corporations, the Events & Partnerships Coordinator manages and grows a portfolio of companies giving $250 – $10,000 through cultivation and stewardship of a robust pipeline, to meet a revenue goal of about $50,000/year. Responsibilities include:
- Frequent prospect research and outreach,
- Timely execution of contracted deliverables,
- Regular, personalized updates and communication, and
- Upward management of the Development Director and Executive Director in stewardship of partners giving more than $10,000/year.
Finally, it’s expected that the Events & Partnership Coordinator, like everyone on the team, offer meaningful, hands-on support for their colleagues — this means heavy lifting, envelope stuffing and thank you note writing marathons, and authentic collaboration on a daily basis.
Core skills (these are essential to performing the job):
- Impeccable organizational skills, and the ability to keep yourself and those around you on track,
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, with a preference for professional experience,
- A deadline-oriented approach to work, and the ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously while managing medium-to long term (3-6 month) projects,
- Enthusiastic, sincere interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written,
- An authentic passion for WABA’s mission and enthusiasm for our vision.
Useful skills and experience (these are great to have, but not required):
- Experience organizing large-scale, outdoor recreation events,
- A track record of organizing and motivating volunteers for one-time or ongoing engagement,
- Comfort bicycling about 30 miles in the city,
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other Customer Relationship Management programs.
- The job also requires a current driver’s license, clean driving record, and the willingness to regularly— and very safely— drive and parallel park a 19.5-foot cargo van, and the ability to lift 40 pounds to un/load event supplies in and out of the van. WABA will work to accommodate great candidates who cannot meet this requirement
WABA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be eligible for an exemption as defined by the District of Columbia Mayor’s Order 2021-099, Section III.
The candidate must be located in the Washington, DC area — while the majority of our staff are working remotely, this position requires in-office work preparing for events, in-person presence on event days, and external meetings with partners. In-person work will be outdoors and/or masked, per most current COVID-19 procedures.
There is a lot of work to do! Here’s some of what might help you get it done:
- An engaged donor base of 7,000+ people, many of whom have been investing in WABA for decades and adore our events.
- A hardworking, genuine, and motivated development team.
- A communications team with expertise and experience to help tell our story, along with staff on the ground across the region with connections and a willingness to help out.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This is a full time salaried exempt position, with compensatory time in exchange for additional weekend and evening hours worked for special events. The expected salary range is $48,000 – $52,000. Other benefits include:
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- Generous vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Up to 120 hours of paid vacation starting in your first year, with additional hours after two, five, and ten years of service.
- Up to 160 hours annually of paid sick time starting in your first year.
- Flexible use of sick leave. WABA supports and promotes the health of staff, who may use accrued sick time for unscheduled leave when not feeling well (mind or body), as well as for scheduled medical appointments.
- Immediate access to WABA’s 403(b) retirement program, with up to a 5% employer match after one-year of service.
- Optional commuter transit benefit (pre tax deduction).
- Optional voluntary benefits including, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, other.
- Paid holidays annually following the federal holiday calendar.
- A fun and relaxed office environment.
- Passionate, supportive colleagues who are dedicated to working together for our mission and seeing the impact of our work.
WABA empowers people to ride bikes, build connections, and transform places. We envision a just and sustainable transportation system where walking, biking, and transit are the best ways to get around.
Learn more about our work at waba.org/about.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a compelling, relevant cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Events & Partnerships Coordinator” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with an anticipated start date by March 2022.
No phone calls please.
“WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.”