We’re Hiring: Operations Manager
Do you find problem-solving satisfying? Like working on a wide range of projects in a day or week? Enjoy being the person with answers?
We’re looking for an efficient, independent multi-tasker with a deep commitment to integrity and confidentiality to be WABA’s Operations Manager.
The Operations Manager is part of WABA’s Operations and Finance Team, which consists of the Executive Director, the Operations Manager, and the Bookkeeper (part-time). Together, the team keeps WABA running smoothly and efficiently, and works to ensure the highest integrity and compliance in the organization’s operations. The Operations Manager reports to the Executive Director.
The Operations Manager role encompasses five major bodies of work, with many other duties as assigned. In this role, you’ll take the lead on:
Supporting the Operations and Finance Team, which includes:
- Supporting the Executive Director and Bookkeeper in WABA’s financial processes;
- Supporting the annual budgeting process;
- Managing the annual audit process, tax filings and other recurring financial tasks;
- Convening and facilitating operations and finance team meetings as appropriate.
Supporting Human Resources, which includes:
- Working with a Human Resources consultant and the Executive Director to ensure WABA’s policies and procedures are compliant with best practices;
- Working with a Human Resources consultant and other managers at WABA to support all parts of hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and offboarding;
- Organizing and maintaining all personnel files;
- Coordinating regular staff appreciation activities and gifts and/or celebration events that help make WABA a great place to work;
Coordinating Information Technology, which includes:
- Working with external IT provider to ensure all staff and organization IT needs are met, and that all technology and systems are up to date and operating smoothly
- Maintaining computer, phone, and equipment inventory, as well as identifying opportunities for upgrades and improvements, in consultation with IT provider
- Managing systems onboarding and access for Google Workspace, LastPass, internal network, phone system, and others systems as applicable, emphasizing the user experience and secure and efficient operations.
Facilities Management, which includes:
- Ensuring the WABA office is a safe and productive office environment for all staff, with attention to their professional and personal needs
- Organizing all repairs and maintenance; maintaining relationships with the building ownership, property management, other relevant vendors
- Owning all elements of routine office management, such as shipping and receiving, mail processing, and office visitors and access.
- Coordinating staff use of shared spaces, equipment and digital resources
Organizational Management, which includes:
- Maintaining WABA’s 501c3 status and “clean hands” status with the DC government
- Supporting the board of directors in integrating to the WABA ecosystem, including Google Drive support, scheduling online and in-person meetings, and other requests
The Operations Manager role is classified as Hybrid, performing work in the office and remotely as assigned by their manager. Employees may be required to work additional days in the office or in the field as needed to support specific projects or activities.
Core Skills and Experience
Consider applying if you meet at least 75% of these requirements:
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience that involves prioritizing multiple projects and tasks with critical deadlines;
- Knowledge of basic human resources concepts and practices, along with a willingness to learn more;
- Knowledge of basic accounting concepts and practices, along with a willingness to learn more;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects on overlapping timelines;
- Demonstrated experience problem solving on a deadline;
- Commitment to confidentiality and professionalism when handling sensitive information;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Experience working on diverse teams of staff and volunteers;
- Comfort and fluency with Mac OS and Google Suite (Gmail, Chat, Drive, Sheets, Docs);
- Driver’s License and willingness to drive a 20ft Cargo Van;
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 pursuant to Mayor’s Order 2021-099, Section II and Mayor’s Order 2021-147, Section VI, or be eligible for an exemption as defined by the District of Columbia Mayor’s Order 2021-099, Section III.
Useful Skills and Experience
If you have this experience or these skills, let us know. You don’t need them to be considered for the position, but you should be eager to learn them:
- Experience in nonprofit operations;
- Experience using a Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) tool, like Salesforce;
- Experience managing vendors and contractors
- Experience managing HR or IT consultants.
- You don’t need to ride a bike to apply, but you should be interested in engaging with the intersections between transportation, social justice, and the environment.
- Full-time employment.
- Expected salary range is from $49,200 to $61,600.
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- Vacation, sick and personal leave, including:
- Accrue up to 120 hours of paid vacation starting in your first year, with additional hours after two, five, and ten years of service.
- Accrue up to 160 hours annually of paid sick time starting in your first year.
- WABA supports and promotes the health of its staff. You may use accrued sick time for unscheduled leave when not feeling well (mind or body), as well as for scheduled medical appointments.
- Paid time off for holidays following the federal holiday calendar.
- Eight weeks paid parental leave and up to eight weeks of additional parental leave from the DC Paid Family Leave act (based on eligibility).
- Immediate access to WABA’s 403(b) retirement program, with up to a 5% employer match after one year of service.
- Optional commuter transit benefit (pre-tax deduction)
- Optional voluntary insurance benefits including life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability.
- A fun and relaxed workplace environment.
About the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
WABA empowers people to ride bikes, build connections, and transform places. We envision a just and sustainable transportation system where walking, biking, and transit are the best ways to get around. With more than 7,000 members region-wide, WABA serves people biking and walking throughout the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, including the District of Columbia and parts of Maryland and Virginia.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Operations Manager in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.