We’re hiring: Development and Membership Manager
Do you have a passion for connecting people with the issues that matter most to them? Are you a talented communicator and experienced fundraiser who loves talking to people and is eager to take on the challenge of meeting ambitious revenue goals—alongside an enthusiastic team?
WABA is hiring a Development and Membership Manager to oversee our fundraising appeals and membership drives as part of a team working to raise a combined $1m of unrestricted revenue/year.
About the Team
The Development and Membership Manager is a member of WABA’s Development and Communications Team. Our team’s job is to connect people to the work that’s most relevant to them, building our community of donors and advocates to strengthen and sustain WABA for the long-term. That means:
- Growing and sustaining our donor base of 7,000+ people giving between $1 and $100,000 annually, along with a growing portfolio of corporate support and major potential in the foundation space.
- Working closely with staff across the organization to tell the story of their work in a way that moves donors to invest in our mission.
- Ensuring that actionable, relevant content gets to members, supporters, the press, and the public.
This position reports to the Development Director.
- Implement two fundraising appeal campaigns per year, each with print and digital components, with a combined revenue goal of $250,000;
- Organize two membership drives a year, including one in partnership with Bike to Work Day, with a combined revenue goal of $80,000;
- Collaborate closely with other staff in external-facing roles, especially WABA’s outreach and advocacy staff, to:
- Craft thoughtful and compelling talking points about organizational mission and impact, and
- Support staff in building confidence and comfort fundraising;
Sustaining and Expanding Membership
- Work with staff across the organization to grow WABA’s membership, working towards our goals of reaching 10,000 members by 2025 and expanding our membership base to reflect the diversity of people who bike in our region;
- Design and implement occasional membership appreciation and engagement events, both in-person (when safe) and online, including organizing the Annual Member Meeting and keeping the online Membership Hub and Member Extras pages up to date;
- Regularly update membership materials with relevant, engaging information;
- Respond to member inquiries by phone or email kindly, accurately, and within one business day (often to connect them with another relevant WABA staff member);
- Be an enthusiastic team player on the Dev/Comms team, including working full-day shifts at 3 weekend Signature Events, and being available to lend a hand and few hours here and there to help teammates with event prep, thank you note writing, phone banking, and brainstorming.
We perceive these competencies as essential to the job:
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience in nonprofit development, including demonstrated success in—and passion for!— membership acquisition or fundraising
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to adapt writing style for different audiences
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects on overlapping timelines;
- A commitment to inclusivity and support for anyone coming to WABA, regardless of their background or lived experience;
- Comfort with picking up the phone to call a donor to say thank you or make an ask.
- An authentic passion for WABA’s mission, enthusiasm for our vision, and ability to work in alignment with organizational values.
Useful experience and skills:
If you have this experience or these skills, let us know. You don’t need them to be considered for the position, but you should be eager to learn them:
- Proficiency with:
- Google Suite (Gmail, Chat, Drive, Sheets, Docs)
- Salesforce or another Customer Relationship Management software
- Mac OS platforms & software
- Knowledge of transportation equity; and
- A commitment to being a safe and exemplary bicyclist if and when you ride.
Working at WABA
Hybrid Remote/In-Office Position
The candidate must be located in the Washington, DC area.
WABA is a hybrid workplace. While some of this job can be done remotely, the Development and Membership Manager is required to be in the office in NW DC for in-person development events and event prep, as well during busy periods around appeals and membership drives.
There’s a lot of work to do! Here’s what’s available to help get it done:
- A mutually supportive team to…
- Support your onboarding to the organization
- answer questions about our database and work processes so you can learn to navigate these systems on your own, and
- provide introduction to and perspective on our donor base and membership program
- Well-documented membership, donation, and Salesforce processes
- A staff and board committed to membership growth
- A network of 15,000 members and donors across the Washington, DC region
- A hybrid workplace with options for remote and in-person work to fit the needs of your job responsibilities and schedule
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full time salaried exempt position, with compensatory time in exchange for additional weekend and evening hours worked. The expected salary range is $55,000 – $60,000. Other benefits include:
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance premiums.
- Generous vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Up to 120 hours of paid vacation starting in your first year, with additional hours after two, five, and ten years of service.
- Up to 160 hours annually of paid sick time starting in your first year.
- Flexible use of sick leave. WABA supports and promotes the health of staff, who may use accrued sick time for unscheduled leave when not feeling well (mind or body), as well as for scheduled medical appointments.
- Immediate access to WABA’s 403(b) retirement program, with up to a 5% employer match after one-year of service.
- Optional commuter transit benefit (pre tax deduction).
- Optional voluntary benefits including, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, other.
- Paid holidays annually following the federal holiday calendar.
- A fun and relaxed office environment.
- Passionate, supportive colleagues who are dedicated to working together for our mission and seeing the impact of our work.
WABA empowers people to ride bikes, build connections, and transform places. We envision a just and sustainable transportation system where walking, biking, and transit are the best ways to get around.
To make our vision a reality, we ground our work in five key values:
- Joy: We celebrate people and share the joy of bicycling.
- Boldness: We think big and transform passion into action.
- Integrity: We earn trust through consistency, honesty, and transparency.
- Justice: We put justice at the heart of our work.
- Stewardship: We care for people and the environment, conserve resources, and evolve thoughtfully.
How to Apply
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development and Membership Manager” in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Two short writing samples (250-500 words each) composed for different audiences.
No phone calls please.
We anticipate interviews will begin in late November-early December, with a start date in early-mid January. The interview process will be remote and require a device suitable for video conferencing.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.