Come join WABA on and the Montgomery Planning Department on September 18th for a family friendly, no rider left behind ride as we explore the Bethesda Trolley Trail and Executive Boulevard protected bike lanes going to the Pike District. We will meet, 10:00am, at the Bethesda Metro Kiss n Ride lot (near the escalators going down to the Metro station) and ride to the Bethesda Trolley Trail entrance at Norfolk Street, taking the trail up to the Pike District.
After a brief stop near Montrose Parkway we will ride back on the Pike Connector trail to Wall Local Park for activities for all ages. For more information on the Planning Department’s Advancing the Pike District Initiative and an interactive map of the Pike District Connector see their information page here. There is also even more information in the flyer from the Better Block Foundation.
We will go at an easy pace and will keep our group all together the 6 mile length of the ride so cyclists of all abilities and ages can comfortably participate. Here is the ride route. For more details on the Pike District Connector, opportunities to help install it, and a full list of activities happening on September 18 with the support of the Montgomery County Planning Department and the Better Block Foundation, see the flyer (pdf) or click here.
Please register below to help us plan for turnout.
The ABCs of Family Biking is back!
Once again, Kidical Mass DC
, the District Department of Transportation Safe Routes to School Program
, and the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
will team up celebrate the joy of biking with children and introduce local families to the tools, skills and equipment that can help them start biking together.
This year’s “ABC’s of Family Biking” will be held on Sun., April 28, 2013
from 11 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the parking lot behind Capitol Hill Montessori School at Logan (215 G St. NE). Once again, we will:
- Provide an opportunity to talk to parents who bike with children of all ages, from infants and toddlers through school-age
- Feature the bicycles and equipment available at local bike shops to help parents bike safely with their children
- Teach basic riding skills to children through free classes with WABA instructors
- Present a special class on group riding skills for families that are interested in forming “biketrains” for children to ride to and from school together
- Offer a free bike maintenance and repair clinic from The Bike House
In addition, this year we’re going to try some new things:
- An opportunity for attendees to swap or sell their outgrown kids’ bikes, bike seats, and other family biking equipment.
- A rock-n-roll bike-themed puppet show, Squirrels on Bikes, to entertain our young and young-at-heart visitors
- 11 a.m.: Event begins. Bike rodeo runs till 11:45.
- 11:30 a.m.: “Squirrels on Bikes” puppet show
- 12 p.m.: Biketrain class begins
- 1 p.m.: Event finished!
Special thanks to BicycleSPACE
and the BicycleSPACE Yoga Program
participants, who provided invaluable funding to make this year’s ABC’s of Family Biking a success! The ABCs of Family Biking is partnered with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association, the D.C. Safe Routes to School Program, the District Department of Transportation, BicycleSPACE, The Bike House, Kasper’s Cargos, The Daily Rider, Flying Fox Puppet Theater, Proteus Bikes, and The Green Commuter.
See Kidical Mass
and Wash Cycle
for more information.
Image via Kidical Mass