Here are our top five reasons why YOU should come to Tour de Fat on Saturday, July 22nd.
Tour de Fat is only three days away! If you haven’t purchased tickets, now is your chance:
- Wear a costume: Though not required, it’s strongly encouraged that you wear a fun costume. It can be anything from 80’s inspired neon color track shorts and tall socks, overalls and a cowboy hat, last year’s Halloween costume, or even just your pajamas! The goofy costumes help everyone break out of their shells, let loose, and have a good time.
- Share the festivities: Charge up your smart phone or bring a camera and document the festivities. Share on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and use the hashtags #tourdefat and #bikedc to share with the greater community. And don’t forget to mention @wabadc.
- Bring your friends: Craziness is always best when shared… or come alone! Tour de Fat is a great place to make new friends.
- Exercise your grin: Get ready to smile for an entire day. Do some smiling exercises. You’re going to be laughing a lot!
- Don’t forget the essentials: Don’t forget to put on sunscreen before you head out. Even though the festival is now in the evening, you could still get some sunburn at 4pm. Wear light clothing, to keep you cool. And bring a water bottle with you. There will be water stations to refill.
Tour de Fat is on Saturday! This beer + music + bike + lots of awesome people festival raises lots of money for WABA. Don’t miss it!
How does partying for better bicycling work?WABA and four other rad bike non-profits in our region receive 100% of the proceeds from beer sales during the festival. And that really adds up. In 2015, the event raised more than $50,000. You’re making a big difference in funding our advocacy and outreach work. WABA’s advocacy, community outreach and education efforts are all people-powered—it takes a lot of people’s time, expertise, and capacity to organize for new bike lanes, protected infrastructure, and better bike policies. Tour de Fat has the capacity to raise enough support for a full-time WABA staff person – that’s one more person tracking issues, devising campaigns, keeping you up-to-date, and implementing, implementing, implementing.
Who benefits from Tour de Fat?In order to help spread the bike love, we’ve partnered with four other bicycle non-profit organizations in the region. Check out their cool work: WABA (that’s us!) works in the greater D.C. area to get more people on bikes, make bicycling safe, and expand and enhance bike infrastructure. We want to make getting to places by bike easier and a more viable transportation option. Black Women Bike DC is a rad group of women working to build community and support to inspire more black women to bike through education programs, advocacy, and rides. Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling works to make bicycling an integral part of the transportation network in Fairfax County, VA. They sponsor social rides throughout Fairfax and work on a laundry list of advocacy campaigns to make bicycling more accessible. Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts represents the area’s mountain biking community and works to maintain regional trails. MORE organizes hundreds of rides and events per year. Phoenix Bikes is local bicycle co-op that supports youth in the D.C. metro area, providing a safe, nurturing, and educational environment that reinforces teamwork, hard work, and entrepreneurship through bike maintenance and education programs. So don’t forget to get your tickets to the show! When: Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 from 4-9pm Location:136 N St SE, Washington, DC (exciting new venue!)
More fun for your buck:Bring some friends and get cheaper tickets on Groupon, enter to win free tickets from Yelp, or volunteer for a shift and get free admission for you and a friend.
Be safe: please don’t drink and bike.We realize we are a bike organization and are asking you, presumably someone who will be biking, to come out to a beer and music festival, drink beer, and help us raise support for WABA. And the more you drink, the more support we raise. But most importantly, we want you to have fun and to be safe. Please drink and act and bike responsibly. Consider taking rideshare or public transportation. Tour de Fat is located next to the Nationals baseball stadium, so it is a three minute walk from the Navy Yard Metro Station. If you want to still bike, you should still bike! But if you enjoy a few craft brews, we encourage you to take the metro home. It will be off-peak hours, so you will be able to metro home with your bicycle.
Tour de Fat is such a cool event and you should go! Allow us to convince you. Here are a few things you should know:
First, what is Tour de Fat?Tour de Fat is an evening festival next to the Nationals Stadium on Saturday, July 22nd for those who enjoy music, beer, and supporting better bicycling. The event is put on and presented by Fat Tire and New Belgium Brewing. It’s a fun, silly, whimsical festival packed with good music, good beer, lots of activities, and is a great opportunity to celebrate the region’s commitment to and love for bicycling. The party kicks off at 4pm. Costumes are highly encouraged (costumes of any kind! the sillier the better! trust us on this one!). Beer starts flowing at 4pm and music rocks until 9pm. Come say hi to WABA: we’ll have our tent set up at the festival selling WABA merchandise and sharing the bike love.
And now, here’s what makes Tour de Fat so cool:
1. More than just a beer festival:It’s wacky. It’s super fun. It’s kind of ridiculous. It’s hard to properly explain what Tour de Fat is. It’s an experience. It’s an evening party and concert. It has really, really good music (see the video below). It’s a way to give back to bike advocacy groups. It’s a chance for you to wear a wacky costume and drink beer outside. And there’s plenty to keep you entertained while doing so!
2. Support better bicycling:Where else can you buy a $5 beer and support better bicycling?! This event is so important to WABA because it is our BIGGEST fundraiser opportunity of the entire year: 100% of beer proceeds go directly to WABA and a couple other really rad bicycle non-profits in the DC area to support all of our work to make the region a better place to ride a bike. So when you attend Tour de Fat, bring your friends, and purchase some beers, you directly donate to WABA’s work to build out better (protected) bike lanes, trails, education campaigns, and policies.
3. Feel part of the family:Whether this is your first or your fifteenth DC Tour de Fat, we guarantee you’ll get smiles and high fives from strangers and friends alike. There is just something surreal about being surrounded by New Belgium Brewing carnies, bicycle lovers, craft beer aficionados, and rock and roll blues music fans that brings out the best in everyone, puts smiles on faces, and makes you feel like part of the New Belgium/WABA/BikeDC family. It’s a pretty incredible feeling, and we can’t wait for you to be a part of it. Get your tickets now! Want to go with friends? Save some money by using this Groupon! When: Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 from 4-9pm Location:136 N St SE, Washington, DC (exciting new venue!) Tickets: Buy your tickets here (remember to purchase tix ahead of time!) or use the Groupon
Did you get your tickets to Tour de Fat yet? It’s one month away! What are you waiting for?! New Belgium is bringing the party back, bigger than ever this year! Fat Tire Presents “Tour de Fat” is coming to the DC region on Saturday, July 22nd. The band Vintage Trouble is headlining the show, along with local musicians and your regular Tour de Fat carnival entertainment. Plus, there will be so much beer! Proceeds from beer sales benefit WABA and other bicycle non-profits, so join us to fundraise for better bike lanes, better protected bike lanes, better bike trails, better bike education, better bike laws… You get the point!