20X20: Getting It Done
We are cranking up the pressure to finish the 20×20 campaign off strong. Many key protected bike lanes are already done or slated for construction this fall, promising a larger, more protected and connected bicycle network for DC. But too many important projects on the map are still plodding along with an uncertain future. Read on to see where we are and get involved.
A Big Fall for New Protected Bike Lanes
As you read this, crews are upgrading bike lanes on 4th St. NW/SW from Maddison Dr NW to I St. SW (0.8 mi) (photos) and New Jersey Ave SE from E St. to H St. NE (0.2 mi). And construction has been teased for almost 6 miles of new protected bike lanes before the end of the year on:
- G St. NW from Virginia Ave to 17th St NW (0.7 mi)
- 20th & 21st St. from Massachusetts Ave to Virginia Ave (1.1 mi) and the link to the National Mall (0.2 mi) is coming in the spring
- K St. NW from 7th St NW to 1st St NE (0.9 mi)
- First St & Potomac Ave SE from South Capitol St. to I St. SW (0.7 mi)
- 17th St. NW from T St. to K St. (0.9 mi)
- West Virginia Ave from Montana Ave to Mount Olivet Rd NE (0.6 mi)
- 8th St. NE from Edgewood St. to Monroe St. NE (0.5 mi)
But none of these are a done deal until they’re in the ground. With just a few months to go before it is too cold to stripe lanes, we need your help to keep the pressure up!
Here are a few things you can do to help:
- Ward 1 & 4 – Neighbors in Wards 1 & 4 are joining forces to push DDOT to complete the North/ South leg of the crosstown cycletrack ASAP! In addition to providing safe and easy access from Parkview and Petworth to Brookland and Columbia Heights, this plan will add trees and other greenery to the Warder and Park Place corridors. If you want to know more or get involved contact firstname.lastname@example.org and join our next meeting
- Ward 2
- Despite getting all but one vote in support from Dupont Circle’s Advisory Neighborhood Commission in July, and assurances from DDOT that it would be installed this fall, we hear that the timeline is slipping on the 17th St. NW protected bike lanes. Help us remind DDOT Director Marootian and Ward 2 Coulcilmember Pinto why finishing this safety project can’t wait.
- Explore the plan for Pennsylvania Ave west of the White House and tell DDOT that they need to make temporary safety improvements sooner than 2022.
- Ward 3 – Sign the petition in support of protected bike lanes on Connecticut Ave NW and get involved in our campaign with Ward 3 Bicycle Advocates. See DDOT’s options here.
- Ward 5 – Before October 8, write DDOT a quick email showing your support for West Virginia Ave protected bike lanes (plans here). Then, sign a petition in support of Lincoln Rd NE protected bike lanes or 8th St NE protected bike lanes.
- Ward 7 – Better trail connections between the Marvin Gaye Trail and Anacostia River Trail, upgrading the Massachusetts Ave SE bike lanes and less stressful walking & biking connections around Kenilworth Ave NE are all on the table for Ward 7. To learn more and get involved contact email@example.com and join our next meeting.
- Ward 8 – The 20X20 campaign is working diligently with local supporters and advocates to demonstrate support for better bicycle infrastructure in Ward 8. We are focusing on protected bicycle lanes on Mississippi Avenue SE and we’ll soon be hitting the streets to talk to neighbors and community members about the benefits of this project! To learn more and get involved contact firstname.lastname@example.org and join our next meeting.
Show Up & Get Involved
We have groups of community advocates working in every ward to build support for the 20×20 projects. Getting involved is easy. Sign up here to be the first to hear about actions, updates and get involved with planning.
Attend a 20×20 Ward Meeting
Join us for our next meeting in your ward! Find dates, times, and join links at waba.org/fun.
- September 28 – Ward 8 – 6:30 pm
- September 30 – Ward 4 – 6:30 pm
- October 6 – Ward 6 – 6:30 pm
- October 19 – Ward 5 – 7:00 pm
- October 20 – Wards 1 & 2 – 6:30 pm
- October 29 – Ward 7 – 6:30 pm
All of this work is made possible by the efforts of our community advocates and the financial support of WABA members. If you are able, support our 20×20 campaign with a monthly contribution. Give Today!