We’re hiring: Prince George’s County Youth Organizing Coordinator
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association is seeking a committed and dedicated individual for Prince George’s County Youth Organizing Coordinator.
Under the supervision of the Advocacy Director, the Youth Organizing Coordinator is responsible for developing a cadre of Prince George’s County youth organizers and leaders who can meaningfully engage in local and countywide campaigns and advocacy efforts.
The Youth Organizing Coordinator will be part of WABA’s collaborative Advocacy Team, and report directly to the Advocacy Director. The WABA Advocacy team currently includes: the Advocacy Director, Senior Organizing Manager, the DC Organizer, Virginia Organizer, Maryland Organizer, a volunteer organizer, Vision Zero Campaign Manager, and Vision Zero Coordinator.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate and support youth engagement for WABA’s organizing and advocacy efforts in Prince George’s County, Md.;
- Co-develop youth generated campaigns and advocacy efforts that are in-service to WABA’s mission and our work in Prince George’s County;
- Develop youth-friendly transportation skill-based curriculum;
- Prepare and co-facilitate weekly youth meetings and trainings;
- Create and implement an effective youth outreach and retention plan in Prince George’s County;
- Foster relationships with key community partners;
- Participate in and present at community and coalition related events, meetings and conferences;
- Coordinate schedule, activities, and training benchmarks for a year-long internship program;
- Supervise youth organizing interns by holding weekly meetings, and monthly individual check-ins to develop/assess work plan, in addition to providing support with their academics, personal and/or work-related issues;
- Coordinate with all departments to ensure program integration and support for interns;
- Co-coordinate annual leadership institutes;
- Participate in staff development opportunities, meetings, and retreats;
- Maintain weekly work plan and calendar;
- Submit monthly reports and complete program data entry;
- Support at organizational events;
- Regular check-in meetings with department and direct supervisor;
- Support center-wide culture building and crisis intervention and response efforts.
Core Skills & Experience:
Qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Minimum 2 years experience in youth development &/or organizing (required);
- Commitment to transportation safety and justice;
- Ability to work effectively with organizational allies, schools and elected officials;
- Strong organization, oral/written, interpersonal, communication skills: ability to manage time, meet deadlines, work well independently and in a team-oriented setting, and set priorities in an adaptive, fast-paced and responsive environment;
- Detail-oriented, with strong ability to follow-through, multi-task, and prioritize tasks; Computer literacy: word-processing, excel charts, graphics/layout programs, Google Apps and other work-related applications;
- Familiarity with Prince George’s County Government Agencies;
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and some weekends as required.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Salary range is $52,000 – $57,000. Benefits include employer covered health/dental insurance, flex time policy, vacation, sick and personal leave, committed colleagues, and fun working environment.
The candidate must be located in the Washington, DC area — while the majority of our staff are working remotely, this position will require attending some in-person events. Occasional evening and weekend work is required. All staff are currently working in the office 1-2 days per week.
WABA requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be eligible for an exemption, as defined by the District of Columbia.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
WABA is currently piloting a 32 hour work week policy with flexible scheduling.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Youth Organizing Coordinator in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
Position available immediately. Applications accepted until the position is filled.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.