We’re Hiring: Bookkeeper
The Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) seeks an organized professional to manage financial record keeping of our growing non-profit organization. This is a part-time, hourly position, with approximately 16 hours of work each week.
WABA is the region’s leading bicycle advocacy and education non-profit organization, working to make a healthier, more connected region. WABA is growing, and has doubled in staff size and budget over the past ten years. The staff Bookkeeper’s primary responsibility is to manage the organization’s financial records. The ideal candidate will be a critical administrative team member to support and sustain WABA’s growing operations.
The Bookkeeper will report to the Operations & HR Manager, and work with the senior leadership team, Operations & HR Coordinator, and occasionally the Board of Directors. This important member will manage accounts receivable and payable, account reconciliation, prepare bank deposits, and other bookkeeping tasks to maintain WABA’s healthy and clean financial position.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Overall responsibility for data entry into Quickbooks accounting system and integrity of accounting system data
- Manages Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable
- Reviews and processes incoming and outgoing invoices, and prepares payments
- Makes bank deposits
- Assists with payroll processing, allocations and retirement contributions
- Maintains general ledger
- Reconciles all bank accounts
- Reconciles credit cards
- Prepare monthly close documents
- Manages the petty cash fund
- Processes all inter-account bank transfers
- Processes administrative accounting tasks for WABA’s Sponsored Projects
Core Skills & Experience
Consider applying if you meet at least 75% of these requirements:
- 2+ years of professional experience in non-profit or business accounting/bookkeeping
- Bachelors or Associate degree in accounting, business management or similar field,
- Extensive experience with Quickbooks accounting software
- Experience reconciling accounts receivable for vendors such as Stripe, Square, Click & Pledge, and Paypal
- Familiarity with BILL Accounts Payable software
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets skills
- Experience preparing documents for annual non-profit audit
Useful Skills and Experience
These are great to have but not required:
- Organization and professionalism
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and prioritize, keeping multiple projects moving forward simultaneously.
- Technological fluency. WABA uses Google Suite office tools (Gmail, Calendar Drive, etc.) and Microsoft Office.
WABA empowers people to ride bikes, build connections, and transform places. We envision a just and sustainable transportation system where walking, biking, and transit are the best ways to get around.
Visit our about us page to read about our values, theory of change, and more.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Part-time employment, 12-20 hours/week,
- Pay of $30/hour,
- A flexible schedule
- Paid sick time, vacation, and paid holidays.
The candidate must be located in the Washington, DC area — This role is designated as “hybrid”. Roles with this designation perform work in WABA’s office on Tuesdays in Adams Morgan and remotely as assigned by their manager. Specific in person days/events are determined by the employee and their manager based on their annual work plan and needs.
WABA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, arrest record or criminal convictions, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex, or age.
Submit a cover letter and resume in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bookkeeper” in the subject line. In your application materials, please help us understand how you would contribute to the diversity of WABA’s staff, and let us know where you learned about the position.
Deadline for applications is Sunday, December 3rd, 2023. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please, no phone calls.