2020 DC Murals Ride Guide
Ride date: Saturday, September 12, 2020
Join WABA for a 15-mile bike ride past some of the vibrant murals celebrating DC’s landmarks, historical figures, and neighborhoods— including some of the new statehood murals.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
COVID-19 means that WABA is changing the way we run our in-person events. Please read our full COVID-19 Safety Statement for the 2020 50 States Ride Series before the event .
What does this mean for ride participants?
1.You MUST check-in during the check-in window you selected at registration.
Your check-in time is in your confirmation email and reminder email (where you found the link to this website).
2. You MUST wear a mask in the check-in area.
WABA staff at check-in and pit stops will enforce mask use. We have a zero tolerance policy for improper mask use. Participants who are not wearing a mask will be told to leave the event space. Please see CDC guidelines for proper mask use.
3. You MUST practice physical distancing.
Check-in will have a “one-way” traffic flow with marked entrances and exits, with hand sanitizing stations at the entrance of each site.
Snack and water lines will have “6 ft” markers to indicate where participants should stand to avoid being too close to one another.
While riding, walking, or taking a break along the ride routes, you must maintain 6 ft of distance between yourself and others not in their households.
4. You have a responsibility to keep our community safe.
If you do not comply with safety procedures at an event:
- You are risking the health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and other participants.
- WABA staff will ask you to leave the event.
- WABA staff will record your name.
- You will not be able to participate in future WABA events.
The DC Murals Ride is an unsupported ride:
- There are no ride marshals
- There is no support vehicle.
- The route is unmarked
Participants are expected to:
- Call 911 in case of an emergency
- Have an emergency-contact who is not a ride participant “on call” during the ride
- Carry a charged cell phone (and charged battery pack for the longer rides)
If a participant needs assistance with routing, is confused about where to check-in for their ride, or has another non-emergency issue, they can call the WABA Hotline during the ride to reach an on-call staff person who can assist them.
WABA Hotline #: 202-996-8097
The WABA Hotline number will be provided in check-in packets at the ride and posted at the check-in site.
DC Murals Ride participants have a responsibility to bicycle safely, respectfully, and lawfully to maximize safety for all trail and road users.
When you are on this ride, you are a representative of WABA.
We ask you to:
- Stop at all red lights and stop signs.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
- Use hand signals when turning.
- Communicate verbally with other riders.
- Do not ride more than two abreast, and do not take up more than one lane of travel. When riding on sidewalks, trails, or paths, be cautious when passing other users and slow down.
Ride Start Address
Check-in and route start for the DC Murals Ride is located at:
WABA recommends that you either bike or drive to the ride start.
There is parking available in the parking lot at the Anacostia Park Roller Skating Pavillion and in marked spots along Anacostia Dr.
The ride is a loop. If you complete the route, you will be back where you started.
To keep crowd size small, there are three check-in windows for this ride, with 25 participants assigned to each 45-minute time window.
- You MUST check-in during the check-in window you selected at registration.
- Your check-in time is in your confirmation email and reminder email (where you found the link to this website). If you are unsure of your check-in window, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will tell you
Once you arrive at Anacostia Park, please follow the signs to the check-in area entrance.
- You MUST wear a mask the whole time you are in the check-in area
- You MUST follow the posted one-way traffic flow through the check-in area
- You MUST maintain 6 ft from ride staff, volunteers, and fellow ride participants who are not members of your household.
Check in Process
Event staff will greet you at the entrance to the check-in area to check your ride registration email and confirm you have arrived during the correct check-in window and check off your name on the registration list.
- Every ride attendee must be prepared to show a registration email showing their name and the ride check-in time
- Every registered participant will pick up a 50 States Ride Series fanny pack. This is your check-in packet. It contains your ride cue sheet, 2 mini Clif Bars, a hand sanitizer, and your ride wristband.
- You MUST be wearing your fanny pack or wristband to regain entrance to the check-in area after checking in.
- In the check-in area, you will be able to fill your water bottle and select snacks to fuel your ride. Food and water must be consumed OUTSIDE of the check-in area
Starting the Ride
After you have checked-in, received your fanny pack, filled your water bottle, and selected your snacks, you’re ready to go!
Follow the signs to the route start and have a great ride.
This ride route was created by WABA to take you on a tour of public art created for the Murals DC Project. Click the Points of Interest on the Ride with GPS map to find links to the murals you’ll visit:
“Many Voices, Many Beats, Once City” by Cory L. Stowers
“Sasha’s Groove” by Michael Hammond
“Mermaid” by Aniekan Udofia
“The Oasis” by Daniel “POSE 2” Hopkins
And 3 DC Statehood murals painted by Lisa Marie Thalhammer, Jay Hudson, Ryan Allen and Cesar Maxit.
Learn more about Murals DC and the artists who painted these murals at muralsdcproject.com
To use the free RideWithGPS turn by turn navigation, you will to do three things, all pretty easy:
- Sign up for a free RideWithGPS account and install the mobile app on your phone.
- Join the WABA RideWithGPS club by clicking here.
- Click this link, then open the route in the app and click “Navigate.”
You will receive a paper cue sheet in your check-in packet as well as materials to attach the cue sheet to your bike.
The paper cue sheet is your primary navigational tool.
You can view the route and download GPX and TXC Files for your Garmin or other device at Ride with GPS .
You can also download the Ride with GPS app and send turn-by-turn navigation from Ride with GPS to your phone.
You can also view the route on Google Maps.
There is no time limit for the DC Murals Ride.
There will be snacks and water available for registered attendees at start/finish point until 2:30 PM.
What to Bring
- Helmet (Required by our insurance. You can’t ride without one.)
- SmartTrip card
- Weather appropriate clothing
- Water bottles (you can fill it at the check-in area if you need to)
- Saddle bag (to carry spare tube, tire levers, and pump or patch kit)
- Spare tube (especially if you have a non-standard rim size!)
- Charged cell phone and charger
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Additional snacks
- An adventurous spirit!
Locking Your Bike
Even if you don’t plan to stop during the ride, it’s good to have a lock with you during the ride, in case of an unanticipated or emergency stop along the ride route.
Don’t know the best ways to lock up? Check out this handy guide on preventing bicycle theft.
Food and Water
There will be snacks and water available for registered attendees at the ride start and finish.
There will be water jugs from which you can fill your reusable water bottle. WABA does not provide cups or plastic water bottles—bring your own!
There will be hand sanitizer by the water jugs and provided in your check-in packets. Please sanitize your hands before and after touching the water spout. Event staff will disinfect the water spout between check-in groups.
Snacks will be vegetarian. There will be vegan and gluten-free options.
Snacks will be single-serving and pre-packaged (you can have more than one! This preparation is part of our COVID-19 safety procedures).
All snacks will be served in a no-contact fashion—you can pick up what you want from the snack table. Please touch only the snacks you will take.
There will be a portapotty, stocked with toilet paper, in the ride start area.
Please sanitize your hands with the sanitizer provided in your check-in packet before and after using the portapotty.
Event staff will disinfect the portapotty door handle between check-in groups.
I have a question about the DC Murals Ride.
Click here for full ride FAQ.
You haven’t answered my question in this Ride Guide OR in the full FAQ…
We are happy to help! Email your question email@example.com.