Newsletter: Cornering at speed.
There’s a corner in my neighborhood that makes me smile almost every time I ride through it—it has just a touch of a downhill slope that increases as you turn, so it feels like one of those turbo zones in MarioKart. A little boost of zooooom a few blocks from home.
This morning it got me thinking about how, for all its practicality, an urban street grid doesn’t create a lot of opportunities for one of the purest joys in biking: descending around a corner really fast. You know that pleasing sensation of gravity starting to tip sideways as you lean into a turn, and the satisfaction of feeling your tires cling to the pavement? Good stuff.
I have a few places I head toward if I am seeking that sensation: Ridge Road in Rock Creek Park, White’s Store Road in the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve, Old Colchester Road in Lorton. Or for a quick, close-to-home dose of zooming, Longford Drive in Chillum.
What are your favorite windy hills to zoom down?
Things to do this week:
- Check out a Wednesday night bike maintenance clinic at Trek Skyland
- Thursday: Join UpshiftDC at the Neptune Room for a pilot night of in-bar bicycle repairs and good vibes. All are welcome!
- Next Saturday: Ward 5 Cupcake themed Family Bike Ride
- Bring the ebike revolution and the Idaho stop to Virginia.
- If you’re DC resident who’s ever experienced traffic violence, take this survey from DC Families for Safe Streets
- Check out this award that our own Peter Gray won for the United Nations World Bicycle Day
A Fun Route Idea For the Weekend
Looks like it will be sunny and breezy this weekend. Start at the Potomac Yard Metro station and head over to Del Ray for something delicious, then meander your way on a mostly trails and bike lanes route to Edmonston for some tacos. From there it’s a short jaunt back to the College Park Metro station.
Have a great weekend.