We can answer them!
Our bicycling classes and group rides help you learn new skills and develop confidence! We offer sessions for adults of all skill levels in DC, Arlington, Alexandria and Montgomery County.
Our Fall season is over and we will not be hosting any more in-person classes for the remainder of the year. Don’t worry, we will be back with more group classes in April 2021!
This 3 hour class is for adults who have never ridden a bike before or have not been on a bike in some time. You’ll learn the basics of balancing, gliding and pedaling, with the goal of riding by the end of class!
Learn to Ride
Sign up for this 2 hour clinic if you have recently taken an Adult Learn to Ride class and would like to continue practicing basic skills like starting and stopping, turning, weaving and gradual braking.
Basic Skills Clinic
Sign up if you know how to ride but would like more confidence riding on trails or in traffic. You’ll practice bike handling skills and learn strategies for riding on streets and trails, then we’ll go for a ride to practice your new skills.
WABA’s Community Education Ride series is an inclusive space for riders of all levels to explore the city. Each ride tackles a different topic that urban riders use to get around the region.
COVID Health and Safety
Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, all participants are expected to adhere to WABA’s health and safety guidelines for in-person events. You can review WABA’s full guidelines for Learn to Ride classes here.
- Participants should not attend in-person events if they feel sick or show symptoms of illness. WABA will refund registration fees to individuals who cannot attend because they are sick on the day of an event. If you are sick and unable to attend an in-person event, contact WABA for a refund.
- Classes will be limited to 7 participants and 3 instructors.
- All instructors and participants are required to wear face masks for the duration of the class.
- WABA requires participants to wear face masks in accordance with CDC and jurisdictional mask guidelines at all in-person events:
- Masks must cover both the mouth and nose.
- Masks must be secured below the chin.
- Participants should sanitize their hands before and after touching their mask or face area.
- For more details, read the full CDC mask guidelines.
- Participants will provide their contact information at event registration. Participants consent to WABA contacting them and/or releasing their contact information to necessary authorities if there is a need for contact tracing following an event to contain an outbreak of COVID-19.
- All instructors and participants are required to maintain social distancing (6 ft apart) for the duration of the class
- In the event of a minor injury (cuts or scrapes) participants will be provided with first aid supplies to treat themselves. If an individual is unable to treat themselves, or if a more serious injury occurs, WABA will call for an ambulance for additional medical care.
Cancellations & Refunds
If you need to cancel your class registration, please contact email@example.com. Refunds will be issued to those who cancel 48 hours or more in advance of the class.
How to Reschedule a Class
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your current registration date and your preferred reschedule date.
If WABA cancels a class or ride due to inclement weather, participants will be notified by 9 am the morning of the event. In the event of cancellation, participants will have the option to reschedule to a future date or receive a refund.
One on One Instruction
All WABA Instructors are League Cycling Instructors certified by the League of American Bicyclists. Many Instructors teach privately outside of WABA and offer individual lessons for adults and children. Visit waba.org/individual-lessons to find the Instructor that is right for you.
Adult Learn to Ride, Basic Skills Clinic, and Confident City Cycling participants must be 18 or older. Children and adolescents are welcome to participate in Community Rides with a parent or guardian present on the ride.
All participants are required to wear a helmet while attending WABA classes, even while riding a personal bike. Don’t have a helmet? Email email@example.com and we can provide one for you!
Using Capital Bikeshare Bikes
Interested in using a CaBi for a City Cycle class or Community Ride? WABA will reimburse your usage fee! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Code of Conduct
WABA’s first priority is to provide a fun, inclusive and safe environment for all participants. All event participants are expected to follow the WABA Code of Conduct.
Youth and Family Education
Check out our entire schedule of Youth and Family programming, including Youth Learn to Rides at waba.org/youth-education.
For questions about WABA’s adult education programming email email@example.com.
Interested in teaching with us? Find out how to become a WABA Instructor.