Biking is a great way to get yourself to and from your preferred fireworks viewing point this holiday. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Bikes aren’t allowed on Metro at all on the 4th. You can still use the bike racks on buses.
- Capital Bikeshare will have corral service at 10th and Constitution NW. Some stations will be inaccessible throughout the day. More details here.
- Bring your lights. It’ll be dark when you head home.
- Don’t bike drunk. Seriously. Call a cab or put your bike on the bus.
- Expect trails to be very crowded, especially along the waterfront. Remember that it’s nobody’s job to get out of your way. Be patient, negotiate space, expect to dismount and walk a few times.
- Plan to walk your bike on the bridges over the Potomac. They get very crowded.
- The National Park Service has a good rundown of road closures and a handy map of restricted areas and services:
AND REMEMBER: Bike to the fireworks, but don’t set off fireworks from your bike.