WABA x Amidon-Bowen Bike Bus Training
Sunday, September 10, 2023, 10:00 AM
King Greenleaf Rec Center Basketball Court, Washington DC
WABA and Amidon-Bowen have teamed up to host a Bike Bus training for students and their families! This is a 2-part training that includes:
- 9/6/2023 – Webinar on traffic safety and how to lead youth group rides
- 9/10/2023 – On-bike class where participants will practice bike handling skills and go for an on street group ride
What is a bike bus?
This WIRED article explains it pretty well: “[A bike bus] carries a group of children to school in the same way a regular school bus does, except everyone is on bikes. The “bus driver”—an adult on a bike—guides a slowly moving group ride along a predefined route. Kids and their parents join the group on their own bikes when the pack rolls by.”
Who can participate in this training?
- Adults who are interested in leading and coordinating the Amidon-Bowen bike bus routes
- Students and their families who are interested in learning how to ride safely on streets
- Any student, family, or administrator ages 6-106 who is interested in learning more! *
*Participants must know how to ride a bike, and be able to ride uninterrupted for at least 30 minutes in order to participate in class.
Health and Safety Protocols
Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19, all participants are expected to adhere to WABA’s health and safety guidelines for in-person events.
- Participants should not attend in-person events if they feel sick or show symptoms of illness. WABA will refund registration fees to individuals who cannot attend because they are sick on the day of an event. If you are sick and unable to attend an in-person event, contact WABA for a refund.
- WABA Adult Education classes are mask optional. WABA does not require participants to be vaccinated in order to attend class although we strongly encourage all participants to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. WABA respects anyone’s decision to wear a mask and encourages all people to advocate for themselves. If you would like to wear a mask during class and would like to maintain social distancing we highly encourage you to do so! WABA will not tolerate any disrespect towards WABA staff or participants who choose to wear a mask for their own safety and peace of mind.
- Participants will provide their contact information at event registration. Participants consent to WABA contacting them and/or releasing their contact information to necessary authorities if there is a need for contact tracing following an event to contain an outbreak of COVID-19.
Class Duration: 3 hours
Equipment: Participants are required to bring their own bicycle and helmet for this class. Bikes must be in good working order. Interested in using a FREE Capital Bikeshare for this class? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. If your child does not have a bike to use at class, email us at email@example.com.
- The 9/6/23 webinar will take place on Zoom
- The 9/10/23 class will take place at:
- King Greenleaf Rec Center Basketball Court
- 201 N St SW, Washington, DC 20024
- Click here to register for the webinar
- Date/Time: Wednesday, 9/6/2023 @ 6:00 – 7:00 PM
- Meeting ID: 831 8466 0354
- Password: bike
- Register for the on bike class below